Last week I decided to start walking the kids to school again after taking a short break because of the FREEZING weather. On Tuesday I went out to the garage to get Scott's stroller and I noticed a slight smell. I really didn't think much of it, Dustin had been working on his Bug on Saturday and I thought it might have been something he used.
Wednesday I went out to the garage and the smell is even stronger but still not THAT bad so I take the kids to school and when I got back I looked around a little. Perhaps a stinky diaper hadn't found the garbage can or maybe the cat had crawled in there and died, who knows?!?...I found nothing. I had talked to my friend Amber that day and she told me that I should maybe call the gas company or call her husband(the fabulous plumber) and get it figured out. (Which I totally forgot to do...OOPS!)That night Kris stopped by and I told her to come and smell the garage. Maybe she'd have an idea of what it could be? I had said something like "Dustin, I think it's your Bug!" which he totally laughed off. He totally gave me a look like- WHAT DOES SHE KNOW??? We went back inside, mystery still unsolved.
Thursday morning when Dustin was leaving for work he said "Do you want me to crack the garage, It smells really bad?" I said no since it would still be a couple of hours until I got up and the thought of having the garage cracked scared me. I told him that I'd just figure it out when I got up. Well, while I was laying there in bed half conscious I started to smell something, kinda like when you wake up to the smell of some one cooking bacon. Except this was not a good smell at all. I called the gas company from my bed and they said they'd send some one out right away. The closer you got to the garage the worse the smell was. The kids started coming down stairs one by one and each said the same thing...EWWWW smells like stinky egg farts! And, yes! it did. Hannah had come home from teaching seminary and when she walked in she said, "Are you cooking eggs?"NOOO I don't even have eggs!!! OK, so now I'm really worried. Every one is smelling this horrible smell and now it's in our HOUSE! The gas guy got there very quickly and I took him out to the garage. He started looking around and said, "I'm not saying you don't have a gas leak but this smell is not natural gas. You're going to have to call a plumber... this is SEWER!" What? He goes outside to check some stuff and I immediately called Brian, the plumber. He got there right away, I think the gas guy had never seen such prompt service so I told him that we have the hook-ups! ha ha.They looked around for awhile and after the gas guy had checked everything he left, leaving Brian to solve the mystery of the stench! After searching high and low I was starting to freak a little. The house stunk, I was hearing the word "sewer", I was also hearing things like, "holes in walls", and "can't find where smell is coming from". NOT GOOD!, my head started spinning when Brian came in from the garage and said, "I found it! and you're not going to believe this" I went out to the garage and Brian showed me with his methane reader thingy exactly where the smell was coming from...THE BUG!!!! The battery was fried and started putting out this awful sulphur smell! I was so relieved we didn't have to put any holes in the walls. After Brian unplugged the battery and left I took a shower and when I got out the smell was gone! Thank goodness and thank goodness for Brian! Even though it had nothing to do with plumbing! Dustin and I were both surprised it was the BUG! Who knew?
9 comments:
Driving across the state of Georgia many years ago we had a dry battery that stunk and we did not know that the battery was dry and we just thought that the whole state was stinky. Sorry, Georgia!!
Wow. What a stinky story. Glad it wasn't anything more serious.
Wow! Good that it wasn't anything more serious. Pee-yewee!!! :-)
thank goodness you figured it out. So glad it wasn't gas.
What the FUNK? I love that story! Especially the part when Dustin gave you the what do you know look when you said maybe it was the BUG!
Glad that smell is gone!
I am a little embarrassed that I gave "the look" because I didn't find the smell, But my man brian with a methane meter found the FUNK. Thanks Brian.
Brian saves the day once again!! That was a bad smell.
when you register it again you should personalize your license plate{stnkbug}....I write all my own jokes!!!
Dang, I need to get me one of those methane readers--too bad getting rid of "the funk" isn't always that easy! I've looked like a total idiot before, I'm sure, trying to figure out where odd smells are coming from {or what I am sure are odd}. Glad you got it worked out & all is well with no holes in walls.
Post a Comment