Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Moving up in the world

As some of you already know, we've been living on concrete floors for some time now.... a LONG time! We have a cute, adorable, precious, little doggy named Sally that thought it would be just so wonderful if she satisfied her itchiness by dragging her tiny little hiney on our family room carpet. So.....
I told Dustin that very moment that when he went to work the next day I would RIP THAT CARPET OUT WITH MY BARE HANDS if I had to! SO...
I did!!! I RIPPED it out with my bare hands that very next day since we had a little baby who was just starting to crawl (Scott) and I was already totally grossed out by the carpet anyway(third owners) and this was the LAST STRAW! Many helpful and well-meaning neighbors and friends had offered to let us use their carpet cleaners but I was already just so sick of scrubbing carpet all day! SO...
I thought to myself, it can't be that bad to live with concrete floors for awhile. Besides, it will give me enough time to decide what I really want to do with our floors. Concrete HAS to be better than poopy carpet, right??? Well, besides the floor feeling dirty ALL THE TIME and looking REALLY dirty ALL THE TIME it was great, but we thought maybe it's time to change things up a bit. I started "doing my homework" and found some really great laminate flooring that I just LOVED!! ...and it was priced just right!! SO...

We bought some and on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. I had this great idea... Let's put in our new flooring!!! Yeah! It's gonna be so much fun, I promise, Dustin!!! Yes, Yes, I know we have to be to our friends house in Silverado Ranch by 7:00 but I swear we can do it!!! So... Dustin went and got us a couple of energy drinks and we got to work!! I went over the concrete with a vacumn and got up every piece of menacing debris. I went and asked my Dad if we could borrow his saw(because me AND Dustin were going to put the floor in by ourselves) and he decided to help Dustin. Really, I'm sure that by helping he was really trying to save our marriage since Dustin+ Leah+ major project+ no time= NOT GOOD!!! It could have been a disaster but everything went really well. So...
After doing some of the prep work the guys got to work which was good for me since my Mom was also there to keep me company and play trivia games with me since I get ALL STRESSED when "we're" (Dustin and I) doing a major project! So....
This is what our new flooring looks like! We bought enough for the family room also but last minute I decided that I only wanted the laminate in the front room and I would rather have the kitchen and family room be all the same type of flooring. Dustin started to hear words like CONTINUITY, FLUID, FLOW and so he decided to just agree and go along with it!

OK! OK! I admit it, this photo was completely staged! But in all fairness I did help A LOT! I appointed myself the foreman of the job and stayed on top of the progress, in fact I corrected what could have been a major mistake at the beginning of the job and truthfully if it wasn't for my great idea this project might have never gotten started. So...
This is our new rug in the family room which covers the concrete floors until we can do the next phase of our make-over, tile floors in the kitchen AND the family room. It's those amazing FLOR carpet tiles http://www.flor.com/ I know it's a little busy but I love it! So...
This is a different view of the room from the dining area. Notice Paige in the background totally diggin' on the new flooring. She seems to be in a trance. So...
I told her I was taking a picture and she tried to hide. So...
I realized she was just getting positioned for a "silly face" picture!! So... there you have it!
One weekend, one major project completed, one happy momma!!!



11 comments:

Tyler said...

FIRST!!!!!!!!

Christina and I are the same way when it comes to a major project. That's why we usually do solo stuff. OK, I'll be honest. I usually don't do the projects. She does them. That seems to work best! We had almost the same situation when we put in our wood floor, but we ended up working on it off and on for a week! Pain in the butt, but we love it now! All the flooring looks great! I know you'll miss your cement, but I think you'll learn to love your new floor!

Sarah and Val said...

It looks wonderful. And feels wonderful to the foot. I love it.

Rick/Dad/Grandpa/Mr. D said...

Oh my gosh! Loved the laminate in the living/formal dining room when we saw it on Sunday. The carpet in the family room looks great too! Wow...you two have been busy little bees!!! It's worth all the work/effort/hassle when it's DONE!!!! That's how I feel about painting - love it when it done!

Looks GREAT!!!!!

Jen Rose said...

That is SO cute! I love your carpet squares! I am so jealous....it looks amazing! Good job!

Amber said...

I love that staged picture! And I love everything. It looks so good!

Kourtney said...

Wow, I didn't know you were going to put down your Flor tiles too! It looks really great and I'm sure you're in Heaven, aren't you?? The colors look great!!! Good job!!!

Jerolyn said...

Love it! Yeah! It looks beautiful!

Stac said...

you are funny. I cant beleive you ripped the carpet out yourself. It's reminds me of my mom, whenever she wanted to change something she would just start it herself and then my dad would have to finish it. Way to go! it looks great!!

Billy and Lizzie Calban said...

I kind of love it too...I think you should leave it

Kris said...

Just amazing!! I love that laminate. The carpet squares look great. I'm sure it feels so much better then the cold cement. You guys make it look so easy!

Andy said...

Tyler's comment reminds me of Asher's journal from 1st Grade: "My mom hung the Christmas lights this weekend. Dad helped."