Saturday, July 12, 2008

Poor little girl!

Madison on the way home from her oral surgery yesterday.
Nasty? I know. This is Madison's gaping hole in her gums from her oral surgery yesterday!

We were so excited on Monday for Madison's orthodontist appt. Madison can hardly stand the wait to get her braces on! She had her records appt. and was then hoping to get banded later in the week. That is... until they found a "hidden tooth" on the x-ray and dashed all of her hopes. She would need to have oral surgery to expose the tooth so it can be worked into the mix. We got an appt. for Friday and the orthodontist said she could get her braces on in 3 weeks (Aug. 1) after the surgery. She also had to have two of her grown-up teeth extracted. She did a great job and I was able to be in the room with her until she fell asleep. (Even that was a little more than I could bear to watch) When she woke up she was sad and kinda had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia. There was a couple across the way in recovery and Madison had shot straight up in her chair with a mouth full of bloody gauze and was moaning. I think it scared them and the girl said, "Is she alright?" I just said "No, but I'm sure she will be!" It was sad and funny at the same time. (Secretly, I have been loving taking care of her and watching movies in bed.)
She is doing much better today and I'm sure before the weekend is over she'll be back to her normal TWEEN self.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, poor baby! Hope you feel better soon Maddy!

Jerolyn said...

Anesthesia does make you sad for some reason and NO reason really. When I had my wisdom teeth removed I bawled all the way home with Darin and my mom laughing all the way because I just kept saying "I'm sad and I don't know why, I'm sad and I don't know why whaa whaa whaa" funny how that crazy stuff works huh?

Hope her liitle mouth feels better soon! Katie will be getting braces on soon also!

Rachel B. said...

That stinks! I'm crazy when I wake up from being out too. I HATE that feeling. I work on these kids' mouths all the time and it's interesting to see this side of it. It will probably make me be a little more sympathetic. Hope she feels better soon.

Andy said...

Leah - I have to say I love your new header picture. I didn't think a camera could capture the ducks that come out of your head, but apparently, I was wrong.

Maddy - I hope you feel better.

Sarah and Val said...

Madison you didn't need another hole in your head, but you are cute with it anyway. I don't even know how one person can be as beautiful as you.

Kourtney said...

After tonight it looks like you'll have another post with the same title very shortly!
Maddy couldn't wait to show us the hole in her mouth! She seemed to be feeling better tonight.

Rick/Dad/Grandpa/Mr. D said...

Yawee! Maddie showed me that hole in her gum. She's one brave cookie! It'll all be worth it in the end (say that at least 100 times!) lol

Sara Cecil said...

I hope that the mouth fairy comes and gives her a huge wad of cash.
Feel better sweet girl!

Amber said...

Oh no! I hope she is feeling better.

Beth said...

Ooohh. That's an unpleasant surprise. Big bummaer. Anesthesia is crazy like that. After I had my last knee surgery, I was soooo SAD. I just cried and cried and asked for my mother! The nurse said, I'll have her come in in a bit. I said, "She can't. She's deeaaaaaaadddd". I just went back to sleep for a bit and then I was ok. Good luck to Madison.

Kris said...

Madison is going to have a beautiful smile when it is all done in a few years. I'm glad I've never had anesthesia, if I ever do, I want the kind Riley had. Good time for her.