I tagged-a-long with Dustin. I needed to get out. (Even though I had spent the afternoon with friends) I still felt like I needed an escape.
Dustin helped a neighbor unload some groceries into his home (even though I just sat in the car) and then he was headed to measure something at another friends home.
The reason I bummed the ride in the first place.
I'd never miss an opportunity to visit.
I needed some fresh perspective, some laughter, some good advice. I lucked out and received all three... and then some.
I'm grateful for good friends who bless my life and somehow are inspired to tell me the things I need to hear just when I need to hear them.
I'm so grateful to be surrounded by selfless and thoughtful people which reminded me that I hadn't yet shared this story:
A few weeks ago Dustin was laid off at work. One week before his birthday. We had family coming into town that afternoon and we decided to put our sadness and grief away for the weekend and enjoy our company. It also happened to be Easter weekend and we were too busy to be sad and dwell on it. We had an amazing weekend and first thing Monday morning Dustin called the people he thought could help him that he hadn't already called on his way home from his last day at work.
We talked with our children and told them we'd have to make sacrifices. Madison was willing to miss out on her trip to Disneyland with her Junior Honor Society. The balance of money was due. She'd worked hard and deserved this trip. I wanted her to go so I pulled some money out that we still had and sent her to school to pay the rest of the money she owed. I got a phone call in the middle of the day. It was Madison frantic with excitement. "MOM, you're never going to believe this but someone paid for the rest of my Disneyland trip!" She was right... I couldn't believe it! She was so thrilled! I was amazed. When she got home she wrote a thank you card and brought it to school but I wanted to write my own:
Dear Friend,
We, sincerely, would like to thank you for your unbelievably selfless gift. We're so touched by your generosity. We appreciate your example of giving service and being an instrument in the Lord's hands. Our children will remember this forever and are looking for ways to do something just as special for someone else. We have a deeper understanding of what it means to bear each other's burdens. What we're most grateful for is to know that our family is loved and cared for. We know you wouldn't have done this if Madison weren't important to you. It is a wonderful feeling to know that there are people willing to sacrifice for our family when we know all of us are feeling the effects of these troubling times. It means so much to us and Madison and we're truly grateful. Thank you so much.
With love,
Leah Darrington and family
18 comments:
That is such a sweet story. It's nice to know there are good, thoughtful people in the world.
Wow. Just . . . wow. Both to the selfless gift and to your response. You're a neat person, Leah.
This is amazing! Your family is so fabulous and Madison is so wonderful, I am not surprised that someone would want to do all they could for you!
We usually get back what we have given. And with all you guys give you deserve everything you get.
We love the Darringtons!
So nice that someone would help out like that! I'll keep praying things will work out. Love you guys!
It's great to hear that there are people out there that are willing to selflessly help without wanting any credit. I am so sorry to hear about Dustin's job...I pray that things will work out for you guys soon.
Where would any of us be without each other? Love ya.
I am sitting here with tears, that is so wonderful and I am so sorry, Ryan told me that Dusin got laid off and my heart just sank. I have had you guys in my prayers and been thinking about you. I hope things work out for you soon and I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband getting laid off. These are such scary times. I'm glad there are people willing to reach out a helping hand for your daughter! That is SO sweet!
I had no idea that Dustin got laid off, I am so sorry to hear that! You are so lucky to have great friends, you have always surrounded yourself with such a strong group of people.
I loved this post! It brought tears to my eyes. What a great story and is very inspiring. We love your family and remember, we're just around the corner. :)
Leah, I had no idea. Things will work out great, you are already seeing that you are watched over and loved. You have tremendous strength and insight. Anything we can do we are there!
I'm so sorry about Dustin's job, Leah. I cried when I read that someone paid for Madison's trip. There really are angels out there to help us when we need it.
Okay, sitting here bawling. Having been in your shoes, it really is amazing to see how truly generous people can be. These things restore my faith in humanity. You're in our prayers always. Love you guys!
That is the sweetest story. You have such great friends.....because YOU are a great friend to so many!!!
Leah, you are such a strong woman with a strong testimony. I know you will come out of this. Our family is thinking of you and praying for the blessings to rain down upon you.
Great that someone was able to help like that. Hang in there!
Jas (Jason Clark from Utah) got layed off a couple of months ago. I can't tell you how stressful it was but at the same time it has been a blessing. We have Dad at home to play more, do yard work more, help me with my homework more and just be there more. We don't spend as much and we do MORE as a family. Good luck and what a wonderful story. All things happen for a reason even if you don't know or can't imagine why that something is happening to you. You guys are a darling family.
Post a Comment