Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mt. Charleston

We love going to the mountains. It's always been a relaxing get-away for us. We took the kids up the week before school started. We went by ourselves (just our little family.) I thought it would be a great opportunity to bond. We had foil dinners the first night cooked to perfection. We drank hot cocoa and played PHASE 10. We were alone in the woods, only two other families in the entire campground. We brought our bikes and took a white-knuckled ride through the camp-site. It was a welcomed bit of relief from the summer heat. Amber brought the boys up for a picnic lunch on our last day (that was a nice surprise.)
But I'd feel bad if I made it sound like it was a glorious, fun-filled trip entirely and if I didn't mention that:
  • My kids bickered quite a bit.
  • I got two splinters.
  • I made chicken noodle soup that was disgusting.
  • They raised the prices at Mt.Charleston and the bathrooms are still as nasty as ever.
  • We missed our normal crew that we camp with.
  • It was hot during the day and cold at night.
  • Dustin had to leave us and go to class.
  • I bought a book at Target to read, The Time Traveler's Wife, and hated it. It's stupid and confusing.
  • Madison plowed into Scott with her bike and I'm convinced he had a concussion. All is forgiven... we just love our kids!

Other than that it was pretty nice. Nice enough that we're going again...soon!!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

bahahaha!!!! this post made me smile. i love your family!

Jill said...

I didn't like time travelers wife either. I kept thinking there was going to be some profound insight in the end to make it worth the 500+ pages and then it was just a sappy love story after all. Ugh!
We had to come home a day early from our camping trip because Chuck was up all night puking two nights in a row. I missed my canoe ride. I love canoe rides. It was a total bummer!

Kris said...

Always the good with the bad, loved your list.

Sarah and Val said...

What a fun time, most of the time. Wish I could have come up. I'm especially sad that I missed the Phase 10.