Wednesday, December 12, 2007

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things....

Paige at the Ward Christmas party with Santa. She was about to bolt as I took this picture and I love how you can barely even see Santa's face.
Dustin and I placed bets on whether or not Scott would get freaked out by Santa cause he seems to get scared easily by loud noises or strange people. We both agreed that he would HATE Santa and we were both surprised that he actually sat on his lap AND seemed to enjoy himself! Who'd a thunk it?!? He and Scott are pretty much BFF.
Do I even dare go to the mall, stand in a huge, long line and pay a ton of money for one crappy, low quality picture with Santa?! HMMM, Maybe, Maybe not!


Karley actually did sit on his knee and recited her huge laundry list that includes a dirt bike, nintendo DS, a skateboard, a bunch of other expensive and unrealistic gift ideas( she gets that from Dustin and oh, how I love my dreamers) and even a pet monkey! Say WHAT!!! Not in this lifetime...sorry Karley! I told her we already have 4 monkeys! I don't think she was buying that!




I was having a hard time getting into the Holiday Spirit this year and just kinda feeling... BLAH! I've since decorated my house and attended a couple of holiday parties, and on Monday I even started shopping, finally and while I was out running errands earlier this week I started to think about ALL of the things that I DO love about Christmas. Here are a few of my favorite things:


1. Receiving Christmas cards and hearing about what every one has been up to during the last year. I love getting the pictures also, that is the BEST part. I love going to the mail-box and getting a new card and hanging it up so that I can see it every time I walk by. It reminds me how blessed we are to have such a wonderful group of friends and family that care about us!

2. Continuous Christmas music! I NEED Christmas music, I CRAVE Christmas music and I drive Dustin crazy because I can seriously listen to it ALL MONTH LONG! While I'm making dinner, while I'm in the car (It is only 1 month) Christmas music reminds me of the Savior and puts things into perspective for me and I find myself getting all teared up when I hear a particular song that I love! My favorite song is sung by Harry Belafonte( I only love his version) and I didn't even know the name of it until this year, it is called Mary's Boy Child. They rarely play his version on the radio so when I hear it it is very special and I always pause to listen! I like the fun songs also but mostly the ones that make me feel nostalgic and think of Christmas' passed.

3. Yummy dinner with as many friends in my house that can fit!The more, the merrier! I love having people over! This is something that I learned about myself. I'm the home-body and Dustin is more social and I really love that Dustin has brought that out in me because I love all the relationships we've developed with people over the years. I really enjoy cooking for friends and family and Dustin is always saying we should have people over and if it were up to him we would have a different family over every night of the week. I love it! Getting together AND eating!!! What could be better? I'm still a home-body but I do love a house-full of people, especially around the holidays.

4. Buying presents! I LOVE getting gifts for people and if I had a bucket full of money....

I really do believe that it is better to give than to receive. Don't get me wrong, I love gifts as much as the next person but the thrill comes from finding the perfect gift for someone that you love. I also love wrapping presents...I never get tired of it! I try to spread it out, in fact, so that I can wrap a few presents each day! Love it... and it's all about the paper! Something about unwrapping a gift rather than pulling it from a bag( I know the bags have their place too!) but it is so much fun!

5. SANTA! I BELIEVE! I BELIEVE! I BELIEVE! And I always will! Santa makes Christmas MAGICAL and without him, well, it just wouldn't be the same. I love hearing the poem 'Twas the night before Christmas. I love hanging our"magic key" on the door so that Santa can get in since we don't have a "chimbly"( that's what Paige calls it). I love the mystery and the anticipation. I feel sorry for those children whose parents tell them there is no Santa once they reach a certain age. Childhood is fleeting and we are too often bombarded with the harsh realities of life(even as children) so what's wrong with hanging on to "believing in Santa!" NOTHING!!! I love seeing the look on my children's faces on Christmas morning when they see what Santa has brought for them...priceless, and I would NEVER take that away from them! So, YES! I DO believe in Santa!!!

6. Traditions, The traditions Dustin and I brought from our own families and the traditions we've started together! I love having Christmas Eve with the Darringtons. I love making dinner for every one( and I love that Frankie loves my green-bean casserole even though I got the recipe from a can, it makes me feel good) before we head over to Grandma and Grandpa's to open gifts. I love exchanging gifts with every one. I love the tote we get each year filled with goodies that replenish our depleted pantry. I love the Christmas party we have with my family each year. The white elephant gift exchange and the delicious overabundance of goodies and treats to share. I love that my family gathers around a piano to sing carols and although some of us(me) weren't blessed with the musical talents that my parents possess, we sound DANG good! (If I may say so myself!) I love watching movies and playing fun games and eating melt-away mints and beef-stick from Hickory Farms! I love it when my kids crawl into bed with us on Christmas morning and we wait until we are all together before we go downstairs to see what Santa has brought! I love making Christmas morning breakfast!!! Delicious!

7. I love secret acts of service. Last year we received a mystery package in the mail and once we opened it we discovered it was the little people nativity. It was for my kids but c' mon, I LOVE little people. I love that we got a package one year from some one that had all sorts of fixin's for a delicious holiday meal, including Pepsi (so they must love Dustin) That helped us out sooo much that year and we never did figure that one out! I love my snowman collection that was given to us one year by a special little elf! That will always be one of my favorite Christmas memories. I love thoughtful people who GIVE so much! We are the recipients of many secret acts of service so THANK YOU!

8. I love that people try a little harder at this time of year to be more kind. To forgive one another and try to be more charitable. I love that people are a little friendlier than usual. I love making resolutions and that we have a chance as the new year approaches to make changes and try to better ourselves. I love new beginnings.

9. I love our Savior and the gospel and the peace those things bring to our lives. I love the story of Christ's birth. I love setting up my nativity every year before anything else. I am thankful we are able to attend the live nativity pageant almost every year even though it's a challenge to get us all there. I am thankful for my testimony which has grown this past year. I know Heavenly Father knows me and loves me and is aware of just how much I can handle! I hope you all feel His love also.

10. My FAMILY! ALL of it and EVERY ONE that is a part of it! I have the BEST FAMILY! I am so thankful for Dustin and our children! I am thankful for the sacrifices that Dustin makes for our little family! Dustin is the BEST thing that has ever happened to me! I am thankful that he loves me 'cause gosh darn it, some one has to. He is the hardest worker I know and I'm thankful that I have the luxury of being with our children during the day...without question! I am thankful for Madison and I do believe without her we wouldn't be where we are or who we are. She is an angel and a good example to us and has so much compassion and is so wise beyond her years. She is beautiful inside and out. She is my right hand girl and we are so lucky to have her! I am thankful for Karley, who is pure sunshine! She is so funny and keeps us on our toes. Karley is one of the most talented little people I know. She can do anything. She has a natural ability when it comes to babies and has the most caring heart! She is just like Dustin and I love that! I am thankful for Paige who reminds us to be grateful for each other. She has so much spirit. She is so wonderful and snuggly and when I look at her I am reminded to just slow down and enjoy. Paige is so cute, it's scary sometimes. We absolutely love her and her personality. I am thankful for Scotty who is, without a doubt, the icing on the cake! I never thought I could LOVE this big! He IS joy! He loves every one and I just enjoy watching him play. I am sad when he sleeps cause I could just stare at him all day long. Every day is a new adventure with Scott and he makes me thankful to be a Mom! What a reward! I am so thankful for my family near and far!

We have so many blessings in our lives and I am grateful for this time of year that we can reflect on all of these blessings. We LOVE you all and hope you have a Merry Christmas!







18 comments:

Beth said...

If, after reading this, people aren't in the Christmas spirit, I don't know what would put them there. Great post.

Sarah and Val said...

Amen and Hallelujah.

Sarah and Val said...

What a beautiful post.

Kris said...

Leah, "are you crying?!" I am. I'm all blurred up. Thank you, thank you.

Leah and Dustin said...

You'll have to ask Dustin if I was crying or not! It was another, "OH GALL" moment when he got home from work. Pretty funny but that's how I roll.

Amber said...

I couldn't even read the last paragraph. That was so sweet!

Michelle said...

Your post made me think of all the reasons I enjoy the Christmas Holiday. For some reason it just doesn't feel like Christmas time. Maybe I will have to make my own list and it will make me get into the holiday spirit:)

Jerolyn said...

That was a great post Leah! Loved reading it. Thank you for sharung some of your favorite things!

Kourtney said...

Wow, that was quite the post! It made me reflect back on memories of Christmas Past. It took me about a week into December to get in the holiday spirit. I think you left one thing out though. Christmas lights! I LOVE looking at all the Christmas lights people have put up, and going to places that are all decked out in lights! And I know you love it too!
Thanks for the post. I needed it!

Rick/Dad/Grandpa/Mr. D said...

Oh my gosh, Leah, what a wonderful post. I have tears in my eyes (and I give the Grinch a bad name so it had to be pretty darn good!). I have such great memories of Christmas - going to Idaho with my mom and dad and sisters when we were young, and then celebrating with our kids, and now celebrating with our kids and grandkids. I guess it's that I don't enjoy it personally anymore but love that other people still do (does that make sense at all?). And I LOVE kids and Santa and that whole "believing" thing. Great pics too! So cute!

Rachel B. said...

That is the sweetest post ever! I totally got teary-eyed reading about how you feel about your husband and kids. What a wonderful and sweet woman you are! And I absolutely LOVE the idea of leaving a magic key for Santa to get in the house. How clever! And one last thing--I love your family photos. You have such a good sense of humor about trying to get everybody to look. We have a hard enough time with just one kid.

Andy said...

Nice post.

Andy said...

Amen to #6. Totally disagree with #3 and #8.(Ha ha ha or is it ho ho ho?)

Andy said...

I made penuche fudge tonight. Very good and very sweet. I will blame the previous comment on my intensely high blood sugar level.

Erin said...

Such a sweet post, and I will add another AMEN to everything you said--all the things you love & especially why you love your family. And, yes, we have those "OH GALL" moments over here--sometimes after blogging, sometimes after Oprah, sometimes after reading any number of books... don't feel bad, I'm right there with ya!

Jen Rose said...

I loved your list! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

Leah, I'm finally getting caught on everyone's blogs and your post is just so darn sweet. What a sweet tribute to your kids. Lots of mamories come flooding into my mind. The fact that we'll have our entire family here under our roof for Christmas makes me a little extra emotional, too.

Tyler said...

good post. It helped me get in the spirit a little more than I had been. It's been tought this year for some reason. don't know why.