Monday, February 11, 2008

Hike to Hoover Dam

We went hiking on Saturday at Lake Mead with my family. It was such a beautiful day it would have been a shame to stay indoors. We hiked for 3 and 1/2 miles alongside the lake and through 5 railroad tunnels down to Hoover Dam. It was gorgeous!

Here is one of the railroad tunnels. It was amazing... and dark.... and spooky! Just kidding it was really cool!
There were a lot of biker's, runner's, and people walking their dogs. This is the first time I had ever even heard about this hike but it was so worth it and I'm so glad that we went, I really do love being outdoors with my fam. My big brother, Andy, the leader of our excursion (just check out that walking stick, that makes you official) with my SIL Victoria, fellow hiker! My Mom took some really great pics http://one10th.blogspot.com/
Our CREW minus Scott, he was getting pushed in his stroller a ways up. He's such a primadonna!

Three little monkeys climbing on the rocks!
Three little monkeys getting yelled at to GET DOWN!The kids climbed these rocks so fast. By the time we caught up to them their cousin, Alex had already made it to the top!

Madison and Paige squinting for the camera. They have such beautiful squints, don't ya think??? or maybe Paige just spotted one of Nevada's rare birds, that might be it!
Karley and Paige exploring! "Peace out, Mom, I'm on my way up this mountain!"
Me and Dusty Boy


By the end of the hike we were all a bit dusty and tired and blistered and whiny! But what a fun hike and we couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. Some of us wussed out and hitched a ride back to our cars and Dustin, Andy, Hannah, And Victoria's friends hiked the 3 and 1/2 miles back. What a bunch of trooper's. I think next time we go we'll bring our bike's and go to the dam and back. Any one interested?

16 comments:

Sarah and Val said...

It was so much fun and an easy hike for dusty, whiny wusses. Let's go again.

Rick/Dad/Grandpa/Mr. D said...

Looks like fun! I've read about this trail/hike somewhere - the Review Journal, possibly? (piece of crap newspaper, but yes, I do read it since we don't have much choice).

You're all such troopers but I would have been freakin' out to see those little cuties up the side of that mountain! YIKES! Ahhhhh, to be young and nimble, like little gazelles or mountain goats or...you know what I mean. My gazelle/mountain goat days are LONG over (well, maybe not my old goat days! lol).

Andy said...

Let's go again. It was so much fun. What are you doing on President's Day? How about a little Death Valley action?

Leah and Dustin said...

Where's Death valley??

Andy said...

Two hours north on US 95. It's way close and way fun. You game?

Leah and Dustin said...

Possibly!!I kinda made plans with someone already but I'll see what i can do!

Andy said...

I promise you - your kids will enjoy it and you'll have a blast!

Kourtney said...

Looks like fun! I've never heard of that trail.
The girls looked so cute!
Dustin, that's a rad shirt you got there!

Amber said...

That looks like fun. And really pretty too.

Kris said...

I want to go with you next time!! I'm so glad you do those things with your kids. It is so good for them. The pictures reminded me of when we went to Ansa Borago, if that is how you spell it, with the Kimbrells. It is in California. We camped and did hiking there and it was really cool.

Jerolyn said...

Looks fun. The weather was perfect too. I'm with Scot though...can I hitch a ride???

Michelle said...

Did you not freak out with the girls climbing up so high??? From the picture it looked very steep...I was freaked out. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Leah and Dustin said...

It was steep but I'm used to seeing Karley climb! She's been climbing longer than she's been walking. It was scary watching them climb back down but she made it look easy! Crazy kids!

Anonymous said...

looks like you guys had fun! And the weather was beautiful over the weekend! Hey... I would like to add you to my blog, but I need your email address.

Rachel B. said...

What a cute family outing. You guys are very adventurous. I love that the kids climbed up the mountain quicker than you could catch up to them. Oh, to have such energy. I wish I enjoyed stuff like that. I'm kind of a lazy butt who likes to stay indoors. You might be able to trace the beginning of my love for hiking back to the time we went on a big family hike that my dad read in his guide book as an EASY level. Well after we all about died my dad decided to check the book again and turns out he read the wrong line. We actually just completed a STRENUOUS hike. And I was like 8 years old. Good times.

Okay, sorry to make this even longer, but I meant to respond a while ago: That's awesome that you get to see Piper still. I haven't seen her in forever. And yes, it would be so much fun to try and do a big Vegasy reunion with all us old Mt. Viewers sometime.

Marylin said...

What a fun day! How do you get there? I would love to do that sometime!